Hancock Candlelight Trail

Hello,

Hancock Recreation Center would like to formally invite you and your participants to join us for the Candlelight Trail on December 7 and 8th 7-9:30pm. This free event is open to the public and we welcome community members to walk the trail around the golf course and rec center and then join us inside the center for activities, light refreshments and fellowship.

In the past, we have had some of the dance groups that host classes at Hancock perform their dances as well as invite the public to join in with the dancing. We would love nothing more than to continue that tradition this year. Please email me back if your group would be willing to take part in offering your class to the public and which day/time you would prefer. Also, if you would like to set up a table to pass
out your information for recruitment, please let us know.

Lastly, we could really use some volunteers to put the candles out starting at 4:30pm on Friday AND Saturday, helping run activity booths, or passing out refreshments. If you could help provide some volunteers or point us in the right direction on how to recruit volunteers, we would greatly appreciate it.

I look forward to hearing back from you all soon.

Devon

Devon Farber, CPRP, MSRLS
http://www.austintexas.gov/parks
Program Manager, North District Recreation Centers
Community Recreation Division
Phone: (512) 974-2434
http://www.austintexas.gov/recreation

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/AustinCityParks
Twitter: https://twitter.com/austincityparks
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/AustinParksAndRec
Instagram: https://instagram.com/austincityparks

http://austintexas.gov/austinfutureparks
Our Parks, Our Future 2018-2028 is PARD’s Long Range Plan for Land, Facilities and Programs (LRP).
The LRP will focus on the vision for Austin’s Park System in 2028, PARD’S 100th anniversary.
To find out more and to get involved, visit http://austintexas.gov/austinfutureparks.

HNA Meeting Minutes for September 19, 2018

Hancock Neighborhood Meeting Minutes. 9/19/18

HNA members met at the Hancock Recreation Center for its regularly scheduled meeting on 9.19.2018.

Mary Sanger, HNA secretary chaired the meeting due to the (excused!!) absence of the President & Vice President.

Jim Rankin, chair of the transportation, streets and sidewalk committee reported on the City’s plan to develop bicycle lanes on Duval from San Jacinto to 51st street—cones, like those on Speedway, will be used to distinguish bike lanes from bus, automobile lane. He also said Lee School & HNA are working together to have the city place a hybrid pedestrian beacon at Red River and Harris Avenue to enable safe crossing. Terri Meyers has been asked by Lee Elementary School to be a member of the community advisory committee; she replaces Jim Rankin whose term is up. Congratulations, Terri.

There was discussion of the electric scooters being left here and there, but no recommendation to the Council.

Hugh Bender, Chair of the Zoning and Planning Committee, reported he and others had looked at the renovation of the home on Harris Avenue and determined that it was “close” if not on target to the correct height. HNA emailed the new owner welcoming him to the neighborhood and reminding him of the occupancy ordinance and hoping, in his rental negotiations, he would be mindful that Lee Elementary School was one of his neighbors. The owner did acknowledge receiving HNA’s email.

Terri Meyers stated that the Local Historic District Committee was working on assembling a panel of experts to discuss LHDs at an HNA special meeting; the preliminary survey of HNA homes is being conducted by HNA volunteers and are due to Terri by October 1st. Historic District design standards are being prepared by the LHD committee for homeowners to consider. www.hancocklhd.com/; https://hancocklhd.com/history/

HNA member Meredith B. asked the membership for advice and assistance with a permit for an accessory Unit at 4007 Duval, this differs from a secondary apartment/Accessory Dwelling Unit. Hugh Bender, Mary Sanger and Mike Hebert agreed to review the permit, the Code and to call the City permitting office. HNA will also email the owner of the associated principle home about the occupancy ordinance. (4 unrelated people per site)

After some discussion of the Perry Estate, Bruce Fairchild offered to get a status report on development activities from the contractor.

HNA’s next regular meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, November 21st; this is the day before Thanksgiving, therefore it was recommended the meeting be held on Wednesday, November 14th. Nominations for HNA officers will take place at this meeting and officers will be elected at the January meeting.

https://www.hancockna.org/www/content/hancock-neighborhood-meeting-91918...
https://www.hancockna.org/www/content/hancock-neighborhood-meeting-91918pdf

Historic Preservation Grant Letter of Intent for Hancock Neighborhood - September 28, 2018

Dear Mr. Sadowsky,

I'm Co-chair of Hancock Neighborhood Local Historic District Committee and
we were excited to hear about the opportunity to apply for this year's
Texas Historical Commission grant program. The Hancock Neighborhood is the
largest historic, architecturally intact neighborhood in the City of Austin
and we are doing our best to protect it from the ongoing threat of
demolitions and preserve it for future generations.

I've attached our completed letter of intent to this email and look
forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Coan Dillahunty
Co-chair, Hancock Local Historic District Committee
Coan.Dillahunty@gmail.com
512-694-4388

https://www.hancockna.org/www/content/letterofintentcommunity-hnadocx
https://www.hancockna.org/www/content/letterofintentcommunity-hnapdf

HNA Parks Committee Community Engagement Meeting September 23

Notice: Community Engagement Meeting
Date: September 23, 2018
Time: 10:00 AM- noon
Place: Hancock Recreation Center- playground area

On Sunday, September 23rd, from 10:00 AM to noon the HNA Parks Committee will be holding a Community Engagement Meeting under the canopy on the playground at Hancock Recreation Center.

The purpose of the Community Engagement Meeting is to prioritize best use options for spending the rest of the Park/Green Space improvement funds. These funds are being held in an account by the Parks Foundation. All funding expentitures were approve by vote at HNA meetings.

We will elaborate on all the details regarding the remaining funds during our discussions, and will share a list of priorities identified both from the Golf and Program Divisions.

We will clarify previous spending for improvements at the meeting, for example, The HNA Parks Committee received a receipt a few months ago and reimbursed the Parks Department for the work that was completed for resurfacing of the perimeter trail around the golf course. This cost was approximately $16,839.

The HNA Parks Committee will provide the current mitigation fund balance sheet at the meeting. The amount for consideration is approximately 300,000.00

The Center itself is closed on Sunday, but the feedback we received from HNA neighbors requested the meeting be held on a Sunday.

Best,
The HNA Parks Committee

Lee Elementary Tour and Facilities Review September 7

Join us for an opportunity to tour the Russell Lee Elementary - White House and review the most recent district facilities report, as well as the plans for the new four classroom addition in the style of the original school building. AISD architects and personnel will be on hand to answer questions and discuss the ongoing efforts to meet the needs of Russell Lee Elementary's 450 students. The tour opportunities will take place from 4:00-5:00 on the afternoon of Friday September 7th. Light refreshments will be served and no RSVP is required.

Let me know if you have any questions and thanks again for your assistance,

John Hewlett
Principal - Russell Lee Elementary School
512-414-1117

HNA Meeting Minutes for July 18, 2018

Hancock Neighborhood Meeting, July 18, 2018
Minutes

Mark Harkrider called the meeting to order.
He began by thanking Robin Camp for donating the flags for the 4th of July Hancock Neighborhood parade and thanked all the other volunteers.

Mark announced the district judge had upheld the citizen petition to allow Austinites to vote in November on whether they want to eventually vote for or against Code Next or any plan like it and any future comprehensive development plan.
.
Mark called on Kevin Yang to talk about setbacks and construction at his project at 913 Duncan. Mr. Yang previously had come before HNA before the condos were built to discuss setbacks. He was at this meeting as part of an obligation to talk with the HNA after completion. He passed out a limited number of diagrams of project. He said there are twelve 700 sq. ft. apts. to be sold for $200,000 plus, each. This was built on an 8,000 sq. ft. lot.

The Treasurer, Bruce Fairchild, spoke briefly about the accounts status.

Mark Harkrider called on Carolyn Palaima with the Parks Committee.

She discussed the Hancock Golf course trail maintenance. HNA received dollars from the Concordia development negotiations, which is being held at the Parks Foundation and is being used to help maintain the trail around Hancock Golf Course, including erosion control. Most recently, HNA paid $16,839 to Parks for this purpose.
Carolyn will have a meeting in the next few months to discuss the use of these funds. The members approved using $400 from this fund to pay for the fire truck at the July 4th parade.
Carolyn explained HNA also received $5,000 from the City for its use of the triangle at Red River and 38th as a construction site. The $5000 went to the Parks Department for restoration of the triangle site.

There was some discussion of the property and building at 3911 Duval. The new building on this lot is an Accessory Dwelling Unit. The HNA officers and Carolyn Palaima examined the permit and, specifically, questioned the removal of a large pecan tree, which was necessary to provide utility service.

Next to address the meeting was Jennifer Dillahunty regarding the Local Historic Neighborhood District. She referred to the Hancock Local Historic District, website, http://hancocklhd.com/2018/07/09/architectural-styles/
She stated that there are 828 owners in the Hancock Neighborhood for 907 parcels.
454 participants would be needed to apply for historic zoning.

Terri Myers is volunteering to do “reconnaissance” of neighborhood properties. But, she needs people to help take pictures and complete a form on each house to be considered as to whether or not it would be considered historic. Any history of the property would be helpful. Terri is to provide guidelines and a form to be completed which will be disseminated to volunteers to complete.
Hugh Bender from the Zoning Committee spoke briefly. There was some discussion about what the UT School of Law has planned for the former
Co-op East. Possible doctors' offices or something else.
The next HNA meeting is scheduled for Sept. 9, 2018.
Submitted by: Eva L. Mohrlok, July 20, 2018 substituting for Mary Sanger, Secretary.

https://www.hancockna.org/www/content/hnajuly-18-2018docx
https://www.hancockna.org/www/content/hnajuly-18-2018pdf

Agenda for the July 18, 2018 Meeting of the Hancock Neighborhood Association

Hancock Neighborhood Association will hold its regularly scheduled meeting at
7:00 PM on Wednesday, July 18, 2018
at the Hancock Recreation Center.

The agenda will include reports on committee activities, up-date on CodeNEXT and any items the members wish to bring up for discussion.

Mary Sanger
Secretary

4th of July Parade and Picnic

Event: 4th of July Parade and Picnic
Time: Wednesday, July 04,2018 9:30 AM
Location: 3308 Hampton Rd
Address: 3308 Hampton Rd

Dear Neighbors,

Join us Monday, July 4th at 9:30 am for 8th annual Hancock Neighborhood Association 4th of July Parade and Picnic at Lee Elementary. The playground is closed for construction, so we’ll be on the front lawn with tents, food and fun. Thank you to the Kahlor/Junker family for setting up a sign up for food, tables, and necessary gear, and for letting us spill over into their lawn and house.

https://m.signupgenius.com/#!/showSignUp/10c0f4dafa72da6fc1-hancock

The parade starts at 10 am, and a big shout out to Mark Harkrider for getting the fire truck. We will parade around the 8 blocks (thanks Robin for the flags!) and come back to Lee to picnic. Bring your wagon, bike, boom box, dog, or fun car, and join us! If you have questions, want to set up or wonder what we need, please text me 504.392.4919.

And, this year, we are thrilled to partner with the Hemphill Neighborhood Association to keep the party going. There will be a bounce house water slide in the park from 12-2 pm, and all are welcome. Please bring watermelon or dessert to share, your towels, sunblock and picnic blanket. Thanks, Carole LaClaire for setting it up! And, Lindsey Heddleston, Brandon Tucker and Zack Simpson for making this partnership happen.

As always, a big shout out to Jillian Copeland, Amanda Nite, and Snow White for signs, volunteers, set up, gear and decorating, and Bruce Fairchild for handling the details. We can’t wait to see you and your kids!

Melissa Linden

Hancock Neighborhood Association support of Preservation Austin Resolution Item 64

Dear City Manager Spencer Cronk and Mayor Pro Tem Kathie Tovo,

This letter confirms Hancock Neighborhood Association's support of
Preservation Austin Resolution Item 64 to Approve a resolution concerning
improvements to the city's Historic Preservation Program to advance program
mission and performance objectives.

Austin’s rapid growth is resulting in the loss of important and
irreplaceable historic assets across the city. As a tourist town and
growing visitor destination, historic preservation is more than a matter of
casual interest in Austin; it can be a source of economic activity. There
is also growing recognition that Austin needs to acknowledge all of its
history, including the contributions made by communities of people of color
to the city’s vibrant culture, often despite legal, economic and social
barriers historically placed in the path of these communities.

The Austin City Council recently established the Historic Preservation Fund
with revenue from the hotel occupancy tax to provide much-needed investment
in heritage tourism and city-owned and private historic sites. These
opportunities will be fully realized only with adequate staffing.
On February 26, 2018, the Historic Landmark Commission (HLC) passed a
resolution recommending the City Council evaluate the current fee structure
for historic zoning, recommending additional funding and staffing in the
FY2019 budget to enable the Historic Preservation Office (HPO) to identify
historic properties, develop design standards and work with communities to
develop historic districts. Robust integration of Austin’s HPO activities,
duties, and responsibilities as part of Austin’s planning efforts can only
be done with adequate staffing and authority.

The East Austin Historic Resources Survey that the Austin City Council
approved in December 2016 identified a number of potential historic
landmarks and historic districts with significant architectural and
ethnic/cultural heritage. The University of Texas at Austin Gentrification
Study team reported to the City’s Anti-Displacement Task Force on January
5, 2018, that roughly 3,000 historic age buildings have been demolished in
the past five years, many in neighborhoods historically home to persons of
color and in lower-income areas with higher concentrations of rental
properties. Due to a lack of resources within the HPO and in the community,
the City has, to date, received no applications for potential landmark
designations or historic districts in the survey area of East Austin.
Equitable treatment for the city’s historically disadvantaged communities
requires an investment in public outreach, assistance, and historic
preservation expertise.

Adopted city plans such as Imagine Austin, the Downtown Plan and the
Strategic Direction 2023 call for policies and programs that honor and
promote the preservation of Austin’s historic, cultural, and ethnic
heritage. In February 2017, the City Auditor reported several issues
preventing the HPO and Historic Landmark Commission (HLC) from achieving
their mission to support the preservation of buildings, sites and
neighborhoods that reflect elements of Austin’s cultural, social, political
and architectural history. The audit found that, compared with peer cities,
the HLC has the second highest caseload per meeting and the HPO has one of
the lowest full-time employee staffing levels among similar programs.
Historic preservation offices in other cities facilitate effective planning
efforts as well as evaluation and preservation of the city’s historic
assets.

We recommend that the City Council direct the City Manager to consider the
following improvements and return to Council with an analysis on the
benefits, feasibility and annual cost of each by June 28, 2018. These
improvements should include creation of a separate Preservation Planning
Division within the Planning and Zoning Department equal in standing to
divisions such as Urban Design and Long-Range Planning to provide the
preservation program with a stronger voice in carrying out preservation
priorities and efforts to better integrate its activities into the City’s
planning, equity, and economic development efforts. Goals should include:
aligning the HPO staffing levels with peer cities; Revising outdated
sections of the Land Development Code related to historic preservation to
reflect best practices in the field; funding historic resource survey
efforts citywide on an annual basis; posting backup materials for
commission and public review at least three business days before HLC
meetings; streamlining commission meetings through identification of cases
that may be administratively approved; permitting HPO staff to apply for
nd accept grants in any amount to carry out preservation programming;
providing adequate support and training of HPO staff and HLC members by a
city attorney with experience in preservation law, or to provide for
outside counsel on an as-needed basis, and to review the current historic
zoning fee structure to identify opportunities for equity and
affordability.

Thank you for your consideration.

Mark Harkrider
President, Hancock Neighborhood Association
harkrider@westcapitol.com

https://www.hancockna.org/www/content/support-preservation-austin-resolu...

Hyde Park Neighborhood Association Meeting June 4 at 7pm of Interest to HNA

Hi Neighbors,

I am Reid Long, President of the Hyde Park Neighborhood Association. I wanted to write and extend an invite for both you and your members to our June meeting tomorrow night at 7 PM at the Griffin School (5001 Evans Ave, Austin, TX 78751). We do ask that you sign in on our guest list at the membership table that just inside the doors. Our agenda includes two very special guests.

First, we will be having a conversation and discussion about the direction of the City along with a QA with new City Of Austin Manager Spencer Cronk. The conversation will focus around three questions developed from his listening questions when he was first appointed. After this conversation, we will have an open QA with the City Manager.

After Manager Cronk, we will have a discussion and open QA with Mayor Steve Adler regarding Code Next. I know this subject is a hot topic for our neighborhoods and this will be an opportunity to have an intimate QA with the Mayor on this subject.

I hope that you and/or your members can join us as it would be great to have comments from the broader community. What impacts one of us impacts all of our neighborhoods.

Hope to see you out.

Best,
Reid

Reid Long
President
Hyde Park Neighborhood Association

Syndicate content