Events

Sustainable Hancock Project Presentation - Thursday, December 6th 7:00 - 8:30

Come see a SUSTAINABLE FUTURE designed for Hancock!

You’re invited to contribute to an academic sustainable design and planning project led by graduate students of the Community & Regional Planning program at The University of Texas at Austin. Graduate students are investigating different aspects of the Hancock Neighborhood such as housing, mobility, economic development, and environmental and cultural resources. With community participation, they will be developing design and planning ideas for the future of the neighborhood.

The students invite all community members, adults and children to the Final Design Presentation at the Hancock Recreation Center, located at 811 East 41st Street. Your input is invaluable to this shared learning experience, and your presence at the event is greatly appreciated.

FINAL DESIGN PRESENTATION

Thursday, December 6 | 7 - 8:30 PM

Join UT Community and Regional Planning graduate students as they present their semester-long design projects that promote the livable, vibrant and sustainable future of the Hancock neighborhood.

Enjoy light refreshments as you participate!

For more information, please contact Professor Ming-Chun Lee at:

mingchun@austin.utexas.edu or (512) 475-6158.

Hancock Luminaria Trail December 7 & 8

Please mark your calendars for Hancock Recreation Center's FREE annual Holiday Candle Trail Event...

* Friday, December 7

* Saturday, December 8

* Dusk-9pm

Join your neighbors and family on Friday, December 7 and Saturday, December 8 from dusk until 9pm to walk the trails of thousands of luminarias on and around Hancock Recreation Center and Golf Course. Enjoy hot chocolate, holiday carols, and a visit from a special guest around 7pm. FREE for the family!

Hancock Recreation Center is located at 811 East 41st Street (on the corner of 41st Street and Red River, right in the middle of the Hancock Golf Course). If you have any questions about the event, please contact Hancock at (512) 453-7765.

Rick Kocian

Austin Parks and Recreation Department

Hancock Recreation Center

(512) 453-7765

Hancock Neighborhood Association Agenda – November 14, 2012

Hancock Neighborhood Association Agenda – November 14, 2012
Approval of Minutes from September Meeting
President’s Notes
Perry Estate Committee Report
Parks Committee Report
Zoning Committee Report
CANPAC Report
Discussion on Harris Avenue Development
Publications Committee Report
Treasurer’s Report
Nominations for 2013 Officers
Old Business
New Business
Announcements
Adjourn

Design Charrette Thursday, November 15, 7 - 9 PM

DEAR HANCOCK RESIDENTS --

You’re invited to contribute to an academic sustainable design and planning project led by graduate students of the Community & Regional Planning program at The University of Texas at Austin. Graduate students are investigating different aspects of the Hancock Neighborhood such as housing, mobility, economic development, and environmental and cultural resources. With community participation, they will be developing design and planning ideas for the future of the neighborhood.

The students invite all community members, adults and children to the Design Charrette at the Hancock Recreation Center, located at 811 East 41st Street. Your input is invaluable to this shared learning experience, and your presence at the event is greatly appreciated.

DESIGN CHARRETTE
Thursday, November 15 | 7 - 9 PM

Join UT students and Hancock neighbors in a series of fun mapping exercises that will allow us to envision the future of the Hancock neighborhood. Students will also share their ideas on innovative ways to preserve the Hancock neighborhood as a livable and sustainable place. Enjoy refreshments as you participate!

For more information, please contact Professor Ming-Chun Lee at:
mingchun@austin.utexas.edu or (512) 475-6158.

http://www.facebook.com/sustainablehancock

Perry Special Committee Meeting Wednesday, November 7

Agenda for Perry Special Committee Meeting

Wednesday, 11-7-2012

Time and Place: 8:00 at the Hancock Rec. Center

1. 8:00 - Open communication on any non-agenda items

2. 8:05 - Review of Survey Results

3. 8:15 - Committee to have an open discussion with the developer’s attorney, Mr. David Hartman, regarding the following:
- Neighborhood feedback that has been received by the committee thus far via survey, emails, written position statements and oral statements made by neighbors at previous meetings.
- Pertinent, new information on the Sound and Traffic Analyses, if any is to be presented
- Possible Alternative Developments which the developer may pursue should he ultimately not be granted the change of use/zoning for the Perry Property
- Mr. Hartman is welcome to share his thoughts in general or any other pertinent information with the committee.

4. 8:35 - Mr. Hartman is asked to please leave at this point, and the Committee will discuss the Pros and Cons of agreeing to the Developer’s Request for neighborhood support to filing an amendment to the FLUM out of cycle. City Employees Carol Gibbs and Maureen Meredith will lead us in this discussion. We will also discuss precedence set by other neighborhoods and developers as it pertains to filing an amendment to the FLUM out of cycle.

5. 9:00 - Committee to discuss whether we have a unanimous recommendation to be presented to the general membership at the November 14th meeting regarding the amendment to the FLUM out of cycle. The committee will also lay out our meeting schedule through December, 2012.

6. 9:15 - Meeting Adjourned

Perry Committee Members: Reed Henderson, Rafi Anuar, Bart Whatley, Carolyn Palaima, Holly Noelke, Bruce Fairchild, Gay Ratliff, Linda Guerrero, Cody Coe

Perry Special Committee Meeting Wednesday, October 17

Reed Henderson is taking over the chairmanship of the Perry Special Committee from Bart Whatley. Bart resigned his chairmanship due to increasing professional obligations.

Agenda for Perry Special Committee Meeting Wednesday, 10-17-2012

Time and Place: 8:00 at the Hancock Rec. Center

1. 8:00 - Open communication on any non-agenda items

2. 8:05 - Introduction of Community and Regional Planning Program at UT

3. 8:10 - Review notes and minutes from prior meeting

4. 8:15 - 20 Minute Presentation of Proposed Plan by Clark Lyda

5. 8:35 - 30 Minute Q&A with Clark Lyda

Mr. Lyda is asked to please address the following:

a) What use do you propose for the Perry Mansion itself, other than the 5 hotel rooms?

b) Will you continue to use the chapel as a Religious Assembly? Will there be any other uses for the chapel?

c) Can you provide us any indication of the number, type, and size of the events you will need to host in order to meet your investment objectives for the "event center?" Particularly in the case of events held on weekends or in the evening…would they need to be held monthly? weekly? more often? Would the events be seasonal in any way, so that some times of year would be significantly more busy than others?

d) The last version of the original hotel-school proposal that we saw in late 2010 included an agreement that outdoor amplified sound would be disallowed. Why has that concession disappeared from the new proposal? Is outdoor amplified sound critical to the business model being proposed?

e) What are the sizes of the three distinct "zones" of the property -- west of Waller Creek, between Waller Creek and the interior stone wall, and between the wall and Red River? What percentages of the first two zones are within the floodplain?

f) Please discuss the parking layout for the project on both the upper and lower grounds

g) Please speak to projected improvements along 41st Street

Perry Committee Meeting, 10-3-2012, 8pm Hancock Recreation Center

The Perry Committee standard meeting dates are set for the first Wed and third Tuesday of the month at 8pm, when we have a need to meet. Neighbors are welcome to submit input to the committee in writing or or at meetings.
 
Agenda for the 10-3 HNA Perry Committee Meeting:
1. 8:00pm- Open communication on any non-agenda items
2. 8:05- Presentation from developer: Update regarding work with traffic and sound consultants that have been engaged. (Developer leaves after this agenda item)
3. 8:30- Discuss instruction from the 9-19-2012 full neighborhood meeting: October meeting to be convened by the by the Perry subcommittee and Clark Lyda to be invited to present at the first part of the meeting for a limited time to be determined by the subcommittee, after this time Development Team to excuse themselves so neighborhood can meet in private.
4. 8:40- Review status of survey, ways to further publicize, and close date
5. 8:50- Review top issues that need to be negotiated
6. 9:05- Discussion of whether it would be worthwhile to request a most directly affected neighbor (e.g., someone living adjacent to the Perry Estate) to give a short presentation (10-15 minutes) summarizing his/her views of the developer's proposal prior to the discussion by the neighborhood as a whole.  Thought is to have a "counterpoint" to balance Mr. Lyda's presentation.
7. 9:15- Discuss chair position- New chair, co-chairs, and/or rotating chair.
 
Perry Committee Members: Reed Henderson, Rafi Anuar, Bart Whatley, Carolyn Palaima, Holly Noelke, Bruce Fairchild, Gay Ratliff, Linda Guerrero, Cody Coe
 

Perry Committee Meeting, 9-18-12, 8pm Hancock Recreation Center

The Perry Committee standard meeting dates are set for the first Wed and third Tuesday of the month at 8pm, when we have a need to meet.
 
9-18 Agenda:
1. 8:00pm- Open communication on any non-agenda items
2. 8:10- Review notes from prior meeting
3. 8:15- Review survey (5 minutes for non-committee member questions/input)
4. 8:45- meeting adjourn
 
Perry Committee Members: Reed Henderson, Rafi Anuar, Bart Whatley, Carolyn Palaima, Holly Noelke, Bruce Fairchild, Gay Ratliff, Linda Guerrero, Cody Coe
 
Perry Committee Charge (from Jan 2012 HNA Meeting): The charge to the Committee is to negotiate with the Owner for the development and zoning of the Commodore Perry Estate. The Committee shall make recommendations for the satisfactory agreements and safeguards on land use, and shall address the concerns and requirements identified by HNA members. Final adoption of the plan will be voted on by the general membership at a future meeting. The ad hoc Committee will be dissolved the earlier of an affirmative vote on the plan by the general members of the HNA at a regular or special meeting or the third Wednesday of January 2013.
 
Information about past meetings and the development proposal can be found on the neighborhood website www.hancockna.org.

Hancock Neighborhood Association Meeting Agenda – September 19th

Hancock Neighborhood Association Meeting Agenda – September 19th

1 – Approve Minutes

2 – Motion to change the date of the regularly scheduled November meeting from the 21st to the 14th.

3 – Libby Albrecht – Co-Founder of Texas Collaborative Consumption

4 – Carol Gibbs – City of Austin Neighborhood Liaison

5 – Report from Perry Committee

6 – Vote on whether HNA supports or opposes events at the Perry Estate which include the use of outdoor-amplified sound

7 – Vote on whether or not to call a special meeting for October 17th that would include a presentation by Clark Lyda of his proposed development for the Perry Estate

8 – Motion offered by Mark Burch

Resolved:
In order to avoid enacting changes premised on assumptions that may not come to fruition, the Hancock Neighborhood Association opposes approval of any neighborhood plan amendment or request for a zoning change on any property within its boundaries if:

the amendment or request reflects a proposal that requires a demolition permit for complete removal of an existing structure or building on the property
AND the demolition permit has not been legally granted at the time the request for a plan amendment or zoning change is filed.

9 – Motion offered by Mark Burch

Resolved:
The Hancock Neighborhood Association opposes any current or future proposal for development or reuse of the Perry Estate that includes any one of these elements:

1. Outdoor amplified sound anywhere on the site other than an individually owned lot zoned for residential use. Prohibitions on amplified sound in areas zoned other than residential must be enacted in a form that is bound to the ownership of the land and that transfers with its sale and, if possible, in zoning overlays and public covenants.

2. Rezoning of any portion of the property located west of Waller Creek to a base category other than single-family.

Perry Committee Meeting Wed., Sep. 5th at 8pm

The next Perry Committee meeting will be Wed Sep 5th at 8pm in the Hancock Rec Center. The committee has elected to have meetings set for the first Wed and third Tuesday of the month at 8pm, and if it is found we don’t need to meet we can cancel meeting.
 
Sep 5 Agenda:

  1. 8:00pm- Review committee process- limited open communication on non-agenda items at beginning of meeting, neighbors may speak on agenda items but time limited. Take any input on a non-agenda item.
  2. 8:10- Review committee charge, neighborhood input/responses thus far, what committee has done to date, and how generally the zoning process works.
  3. 8:30- Review letter to developer to state committee position on engaging next round of discussions with developer.
  4. 8:45- Review current site development, what could exist without a zoning change, and how this compares with the proposed development. Discuss other similar venues for public gathering/weddings.
  5. 9:00- Discuss a process for gathering public input at the Sep/Oct general meeting. 
  6. Note- Any need for periodic closed sessions will be discussed at September general HNA meeting.
  7. Note- Next meeting to be in-depth discussion about the development proposal.
  8. 9:20- meeting adjourn

Perry Committee Members: Reed Henderson, Rafi Anuar, Bart Whatley, Carolyn Palaima, Holly Noelke, Bruce Fairchild, Gay Ratliff, Linda Guerrero, Cody Coe
 

Syndicate content