Reminder: Special Hancock Neighborhood Meeting, Thursday, March 7, 2019

LOCAL HISTORIC DISTRICTS - HANCOCK NEIGHBORHOOD SPECIAL MEETING

NOTE: This Special Meeting on Local Historic Districts on March 7th will take the place of
Hancock Association’s regularly scheduled March meeting.

Hancock Neighbors,

A year ago, a committee of the Hancock Neighborhood Association formed to gauge interest and determine the feasibility of pursuing City of Austin designation for one or more Local Historic Districts (LHD) within
the HNA boundaries.

Please join us for a Local Historic District overview and Q&A session about LHDs. Our guest speaker will be Cara Bertron, the city’s Deputy Historic Preservation Officer. Her topics will include:

  • Why neighborhoods typically pursue LHD designation;
  • What it means to be in an LHD in terms of design standards and the City of Austin process;
  • Examples of recently approved projects; and
  • The nuts and bolts of designation requirements and application process.

You can participate by attending this informational meeting on Local Historic Districts:

**Note: New Venue

HYDE PARK PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH Parish Hall
3913 Avenue B (small church on corner of Ave. B and 40thSt. opposite Baker School
Thursday, March 7th, 7:00 p.m.

DIRECTIONS

PARISH HALL is directly behind (and attached to) the church building on the corner of 40th St. and Avenue B.

PARKING: There is plenty of parking on Avenue B (both sides of the street) and on 40th St., and there are a few spaces in the Church parking lot off the alley behind the church.
Enter the Parish Hall from church parking lot off the alley. We will have someone at the corner of the Parish Hall to direct you to the entrance door..

You can also:

  • Update your interest and questions by sending an email to hnahistoric@gmail.com;
  • Visit hancocklhd.com to stay informed;
  • Visit Hancock Neighborhood Association website where ongoing information will be Posted at www.hancockna.org.

The work of the LHD committee has included:

  • creating a website at hancocklhd.com to update HNA owners and residents about the effort;
  • researching steps and methods used successfully to designate LHDs in Austin neighborhoods;
  • training volunteers to do a street-by-street survey of HNA historic buildings and sites with volunteers having completed about half of the surveying;
  • conducting research to give property owners facts – instead of fiction – about LHDs.

Please join us on THURSDAY, MARCH 7TH at 7:00 p.m., and bring your questions!
Thank you,

HNA Local Historic District Committee

Febuary 25, 2019 Letter from HNA President to City Council Re. Red River Realignment

From: mark harkrider <apache@austintexas.gov>
Reply-To: mark harkrider <harkrider@westcapitol.com>
Date: Monday, February 25, 2019 11:36 AM
To: "steve.adler@austintexas.gov" <steve.adler@austintexas.gov>, "district1@austintexas.gov" <district1@austintexas.gov>, "district2@austintexas.gov" <district2@austintexas.gov>, "sabino.renteria@austintexas.gov" <sabino.renteria@austintexas.gov>, "district4@austintexas.gov" <district4@austintexas.gov>, "district5@austintexas.gov" <district5@austintexas.gov>, "district6@austintexas.gov" <district6@austintexas.gov>, "district7@austintexas.gov" <district7@austintexas.gov>, "district8@austintexas.gov" <district8@austintexas.gov>, "kathie.tovo@austintexas.gov" <kathie.tovo@austintexas.gov>, "district10@austintexas.gov" <district10@austintexas.gov>
Cc: mark harkrider <harkrider@westcapitol.com>
Subject: Red River Realignment

Dear Mayor Adler, Mayor Pro Tem Garza, Austin City Council Members, and City Manager Cronk:

On behalf of the residents of the Hancock Neighborhood, I am writing with concerns and questions about the proposed Red River realignment Hancock Neighborhood residents as well as many many others use Red River, the only north-south thoroughfare from 55th street to Caesar Chavez between IH 35 and Lamar. Users of Red River, particularly residents of neighborhoods which adjoin it, are concerned that one portion of the new Red River will be Robert Dedman Drive, which currently goes through the UT campus and is only two lanes wide. We foresee a future that will allow the University of Texas to close Robert Dedman Drive during football games and other events on UT campus.

With this as a major concern,

1. We ask that there be a firm agreement with the University of Texas that the new realignment will not restrict public use and specifically car use.

2. We ask that the Red realignment have four lanes, and include bike lanes and pedestrian sidewalks.

3. We would like to know if there has been any study showing the traffic impacts of the new realignment on 38th street from IH 35 to Guadalupe, from 32nd Street to Duval, from Harris Avenue to Duval,

or any other streets which might be affected by the realignment.

4. We would like to know the dates for when the realignment will start and the completion date.

5.We request a representative from the Hancock Neighborhood be included in any stakeholder meeting which is convened.

6. We request the City Manager or his designated person, keep me informed of all activities and major dates regarding the realignment.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Mark Harkrider, President, Hancock Neighborhood Association; Street address: 703 E 38TH ST, AUSTIN, TX, 78705 Council District: 9

https://www.hancockna.org/www/content/red-river-letter-22519docx
https://www.hancockna.org/www/content/red-river-letter-22519pdf

HNA Executive Committee Meeting Minutes for February 14, 2019

HNA Executive Committee Meeting 2.14.19

The HNA Executive Committee met on Thursday, February 14,,2019 at 2:00 pm at the Treasurer’s business office -- 3907 Red River Street.

The first item on the agenda was to nominate Mary Sanger to be Secretary until new officers are elected in January, 2019. The vote by the recently elected officers (Mark Harkrider, Bruce Fairchild, and Ann Tucker) was unanimous in favor. The following items were discussed:

  1. Red River realignment. On behalf of HNA, the Executive Committee agreed to send an email, which will outline concerns residents have raised concerning this “realignment,” to Mayor, City Council and City Manager. The letter will be posted on HNA website.
  2. Crime. Due to the number of cars being broken into and rifled at night, and a general uneasiness expressed by residents, the Executive Committee will talk with our sector police and ask for more routine patrols, as well as urge residents to report every criminal incident to 911.
  3. There have been two complaints about businesses operating in residential homes, which do not meet the requirements of a home business under the Development Code. Because Code Enforcement is complaint driven, the Executive Committee will advise
    residents on the HNA website’s special announcements to complain directly to the City’s Code Enforcement Department. The HNA president will also make complaints.
  4. Residents have expressed concerns about the proposed projects and their funding for the Hancock Golf Course under the Concordia Resolution which was passed in 2007. In response, this issue will be a subject at the next regularly scheduled HNA meeting. In the meantime, the Executive Committee has requested the HNA Park’s committee, Parks Foundation, and Parks Department not to take any action on proposed projects until the HNA membership has voted on them at a regularly scheduled meeting.

Submitted by Executive Committee on 2.25.19o
https://www.hancockna.org/www/content/hna-executive-committee-21419msbhf...
https://www.hancockna.org/www/content/hna-executive-committee-21419msbhfpdf

HNA Parks Committee Meeting Monday, March 4, 2019

The HNA Parks Committee will be meeting Monday, March 4th, at the Hancock Recreation Center, Room 2, from 7:00pm - 8:00pm. The agenda is as follows.

Agenda

  1. On boarding new committee member, Jim Rankin
  2. Work load associated with and status of projects identified for HNA funds held at the Austin Parks Foundation
  3. Neighbor communication: Comments, questions

Carolyn Palaima
Chair, HNA Parks Committee

Special Hancock Neighborhood Meeting, Thursday, March 7, 2019

LOCAL HISTORIC DISTRICTS - HANCOCK NEIGHBORHOOD SPECIAL MEETING

NOTE: This Special Meeting on Local Historic Districts on March 7th will take the place of
Hancock Association’s regularly scheduled March meeting.

Hancock Neighbors,

A year ago, a committee of the Hancock Neighborhood Association formed to gauge interest and determine the feasibility of pursuing City of Austin designation for one or more Local Historic Districts (LHD) within
the HNA boundaries.

Please join us for a Local Historic District overview and Q&A session about LHDs. Our guest speaker will be Cara Bertron, the city’s Deputy Historic Preservation Officer. Her topics will include:

  • Why neighborhoods typically pursue LHD designation;
  • What it means to be in an LHD in terms of design standards and the City of Austin process;
  • Examples of recently approved projects; and
  • The nuts and bolts of designation requirements and application process.

You can participate by attending this informational meeting on Local Historic Districts:

**Note: New Venue

HYDE PARK PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH Parish Hall
3913 Avenue B (small church on corner of Ave. B and 40thSt. opposite Baker School
Thursday, March 7th, 7:00 p.m.

DIRECTIONS

PARISH HALL is directly behind (and attached to) the church building on the corner of 40th St. and Avenue B.

PARKING: There is plenty of parking on Avenue B (both sides of the street) and on 40th St., and there are a few spaces in the Church parking lot off the alley behind the church.
Enter the Parish Hall from church parking lot off the alley. We will have someone at the corner of the Parish Hall to direct you to the entrance door..

You can also:

  • Update your interest and questions by sending an email to hnahistoric@gmail.com;
  • Visit hancocklhd.com to stay informed;
  • Visit Hancock Neighborhood Association website where ongoing information will be Posted at www.hancockna.org.

The work of the LHD committee has included:

  • creating a website at hancocklhd.com to update HNA owners and residents about the effort;
  • researching steps and methods used successfully to designate LHDs in Austin neighborhoods;
  • training volunteers to do a street-by-street survey of HNA historic buildings and sites with volunteers having completed about half of the surveying;
  • conducting research to give property owners facts – instead of fiction – about LHDs.

Please join us on THURSDAY, MARCH 7TH at 7:00 p.m., and bring your questions!
Thank you,

HNA Local Historic District Committee

HNA Meeting Minutes for January 16, 2019

Hancock Neighborhood Association Meeting Minutes
Wednesday, January 16,2019

President Mark Harkrider welcomed members and called for a vote of the nominated officers. By acclamation Mark Harkrider was elected President, Ann Tucker was elected Vice president and Bruce Fairchild was elected Treasurer.

Alison Young, Friends of Shipe Pool, reported that the pool should be opened by June or July at the latest, in addition, the Friends of Shipe Pool raised $60,000 for the renovation of the log cabin. Alison is also a member of the Friends of Ney Museum and reported it is preparing a landscape plan for the Museum & raising money for this activity.

John Hewlett, principal of Lee Elementary, introduced himself & explained that due to the construction of the new school building, the parking lot will be disabled and there will be a need to find thirty-five parking spaces for the teachers in the near-by neighborhoods. He is particularly looking for parking permit holders to donate one or two permits. Several members did so.

Hewlett also said the City will place a pedestrian beacon at Harris and Red River, which the Lee SCHOOL PTA has been working for.

Officer Gavin Smith introduced himself as the new night shift patrol officer for the area from 12th street to 38th Street. Officer Morrison will continue to patrol 38th & North. Officer Smith said Hancock was one of the safest neighborhoods in Austin which was very surprising to him given the neighborhood is so near I-35 and the homeless population has spread out. Smith said there had been 49 car break-ins in the neighborhood and almost all were because car owners didn’t lock their cars.

Jen Dillahunty, chair of the Local Historic District, reported that she had a new job and could no longer be the chair of the LHD; the LHD Committee is having a meeting Saturday, the 19th to decide on next steps. Terri Myers reported that almost all the neighborhood streets have been surveyed by residents, but much work is needed.

Members agreed the LHD was a priority.

Hugh Bender, Zoning & development chair, reported there had been one demolition permit application of a 1950s single-family home at 1023 East 45th, near the railroad line. There was no mention of fighting the demolition permit.

James Stroud, who represents the neighborhood on the City’s “sound” committee, reported he had attended two meetings which mainly focused on the disturbance to the hotels caused by downtown music venues. He will attend a February 2, meeting and mention that our neighborhood was still concerned about the noise traveling through Waller Creek.

Bart Whatley stated CANPAC has been responding to the requests for height variances in West Austin. He also said that the development community and the City was prepared to see the neighborhoods near UT become more like West Campus: dense and with high rise buildings on Guadalupe & maybe Red River.

Carolyn Palaima reported on the recommendations for the use of the $434,000, which was given to HNA in the 2007 Concordia settlement and which, by a resolution agreed upon by HNA & Eastwoods NA adopted in 2007 must be used for parkland and open space in Hancock neighborhood. At two engagement meetings, not at HNA meetings, projects were proposed for the use of the dollars. See attachment. There were questions about the need for and height of the proposed netting along 38th street to protect traffic from golf balls. Also about a proposed “marque sign” on 38th & Peck. HNA will have an opportunity to review any proposed project.

These projects were proposed at engagement meetings, these projects have not been adopted by HNA Membership.

https://www.hancockna.org/www/content/hna-minutes-11619docx
https://www.hancockna.org/www/content/hna-minutes-11619pdf

Agenda for the January 16, 2019 Meeting of the Hancock Neighborhood Association

Hancock Neighborhood Association Meeting
Hancock Recreation Center
January 16 2019 7:00-8:30pm

Agenda:

  1. Election of HNA officers:PLEASE ATTEND
  2. Committee Reports
  3. General Discussion

Mark Harkrider
President HNA

Hancock Candlelight Trail

Hello,

Hancock Recreation Center would like to formally invite you and your participants to join us for the Candlelight Trail on December 7 and 8th 7-9:30pm. This free event is open to the public and we welcome community members to walk the trail around the golf course and rec center and then join us inside the center for activities, light refreshments and fellowship.

In the past, we have had some of the dance groups that host classes at Hancock perform their dances as well as invite the public to join in with the dancing. We would love nothing more than to continue that tradition this year. Please email me back if your group would be willing to take part in offering your class to the public and which day/time you would prefer. Also, if you would like to set up a table to pass
out your information for recruitment, please let us know.

Lastly, we could really use some volunteers to put the candles out starting at 4:30pm on Friday AND Saturday, helping run activity booths, or passing out refreshments. If you could help provide some volunteers or point us in the right direction on how to recruit volunteers, we would greatly appreciate it.

I look forward to hearing back from you all soon.

Devon

Devon Farber, CPRP, MSRLS
http://www.austintexas.gov/parks
Program Manager, North District Recreation Centers
Community Recreation Division
Phone: (512) 974-2434
http://www.austintexas.gov/recreation

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/AustinCityParks
Twitter: https://twitter.com/austincityparks
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/AustinParksAndRec
Instagram: https://instagram.com/austincityparks

http://austintexas.gov/austinfutureparks
Our Parks, Our Future 2018-2028 is PARD’s Long Range Plan for Land, Facilities and Programs (LRP).
The LRP will focus on the vision for Austin’s Park System in 2028, PARD’S 100th anniversary.
To find out more and to get involved, visit http://austintexas.gov/austinfutureparks.

HNA Meeting Minutes for September 19, 2018

Hancock Neighborhood Meeting Minutes. 9/19/18

HNA members met at the Hancock Recreation Center for its regularly scheduled meeting on 9.19.2018.

Mary Sanger, HNA secretary chaired the meeting due to the (excused!!) absence of the President & Vice President.

Jim Rankin, chair of the transportation, streets and sidewalk committee reported on the City’s plan to develop bicycle lanes on Duval from San Jacinto to 51st street—cones, like those on Speedway, will be used to distinguish bike lanes from bus, automobile lane. He also said Lee School & HNA are working together to have the city place a hybrid pedestrian beacon at Red River and Harris Avenue to enable safe crossing. Terri Meyers has been asked by Lee Elementary School to be a member of the community advisory committee; she replaces Jim Rankin whose term is up. Congratulations, Terri.

There was discussion of the electric scooters being left here and there, but no recommendation to the Council.

Hugh Bender, Chair of the Zoning and Planning Committee, reported he and others had looked at the renovation of the home on Harris Avenue and determined that it was “close” if not on target to the correct height. HNA emailed the new owner welcoming him to the neighborhood and reminding him of the occupancy ordinance and hoping, in his rental negotiations, he would be mindful that Lee Elementary School was one of his neighbors. The owner did acknowledge receiving HNA’s email.

Terri Meyers stated that the Local Historic District Committee was working on assembling a panel of experts to discuss LHDs at an HNA special meeting; the preliminary survey of HNA homes is being conducted by HNA volunteers and are due to Terri by October 1st. Historic District design standards are being prepared by the LHD committee for homeowners to consider. www.hancocklhd.com/; https://hancocklhd.com/history/

HNA member Meredith B. asked the membership for advice and assistance with a permit for an accessory Unit at 4007 Duval, this differs from a secondary apartment/Accessory Dwelling Unit. Hugh Bender, Mary Sanger and Mike Hebert agreed to review the permit, the Code and to call the City permitting office. HNA will also email the owner of the associated principle home about the occupancy ordinance. (4 unrelated people per site)

After some discussion of the Perry Estate, Bruce Fairchild offered to get a status report on development activities from the contractor.

HNA’s next regular meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, November 21st; this is the day before Thanksgiving, therefore it was recommended the meeting be held on Wednesday, November 14th. Nominations for HNA officers will take place at this meeting and officers will be elected at the January meeting.

https://www.hancockna.org/www/content/hancock-neighborhood-meeting-91918...
https://www.hancockna.org/www/content/hancock-neighborhood-meeting-91918pdf

Historic Preservation Grant Letter of Intent for Hancock Neighborhood - September 28, 2018

Dear Mr. Sadowsky,

I'm Co-chair of Hancock Neighborhood Local Historic District Committee and
we were excited to hear about the opportunity to apply for this year's
Texas Historical Commission grant program. The Hancock Neighborhood is the
largest historic, architecturally intact neighborhood in the City of Austin
and we are doing our best to protect it from the ongoing threat of
demolitions and preserve it for future generations.

I've attached our completed letter of intent to this email and look
forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Coan Dillahunty
Co-chair, Hancock Local Historic District Committee
Coan.Dillahunty@gmail.com
512-694-4388

https://www.hancockna.org/www/content/letterofintentcommunity-hnadocx
https://www.hancockna.org/www/content/letterofintentcommunity-hnapdf

Syndicate content