Minutes

HNA Meeting Minutes for May 16, 2018

Hancock Neighborhood Association Minutes
May 16, 2018

1. Mark Harkrider, welcomed our guest speakers from the Texas Facilities Commission who spoke about the construction of the 1st phase of the Health & Human Services 406,000 ft building on North Lamar across from the Triangle. Construction will begin June, 2018 and completed December, 2018. The building will be nine levels and expected to accommodate 1,525 full time employees; in addition, there will be a seven level parking garage which will accommodate 1,866 cars. It is being built to consolidate, under one roof, many of the State employees who currently are spread throughout the city. There are three phases proposed that is, two more buildings, however, this is the only building approved by the legislature at this time.

The Facilities Commission stated it is trying to obtain a waiver from the Occupation Safety agency to turn–off the back-up beepers on the trucks so to lessen the noise disturbance; they recognize the construction lights at night also will be a disturbance to neighbors. Trucks will be using #283, Lamar, 51st and 45th (yikes) to get to the site.

Future employees of the building, who drive to work, will be coming from all directions and using many different roadways.
For further information go to: www.tfc-nac.com

Committee Reports:

Mary Ann Osborne, a member of the HNA Local Historic Committee, reported that local historic committee met on May 5th and had thus far received approximately 10 responses from the letter which was sent to residents in April. The committee is seeking more volunteers to assist with neighbor to neighbor meetings. The committee is considering a public meeting, with expert panelists, to be held in October. For more information: www.hancocklhd.com or www.hancockneighborhoodna.org: see Document tab; email:HNA historic@gmail.com

Bruce Fairchild, presented a hard copy of the Treasurer’s report. There were no other reports.

Mike Hebert of CommunityNotCommodity urged everyone to go to CommunityNotCommodity website for information on CodeNEXT and to write their concerns to the Mayor and City Council members. Also, he urged people to attend and speak out at the City Council public hearings on Tuesday, May 29, starting at 10:00 am at City Hall and Saturday, June 2, starting at 10:00 am.

The City Council will have its first reading votes on CodeNEXT Wednesday, June 13th.

Submitted by Msanger May 22, 2018

https://www.hancockna.org/www/content/hna-minutes-5162018docx
https://www.hancockna.org/www/content/hna-minutes-5162018pdf

HNA minutes 5.16.2018.pdf

HNA minutes 5.16.2018.docx

HNA Meeting Minutes for March 21, 2018

Hancock Association Meeting Minutes, 3.21.18

  1. Election of Officers for 2018
    Approximately 60 plus members of the Association were present and voted on the following officers:
    Mark Harkrider, President
    Ann Tucker, Vice-President
    Mary Sanger, Secretary
    Bruce Fairchild, Treasurer

  2. CodeNEXT
    Barbara McArthur and Mike Hebert, both members of the CommunityNotCommodity research team, provided an in- depth presentation on CodeNEXT’s residential and commercial zoning changes, and their effects on the Hancock neighborhood. Rather than summarize the presentations, here is a recent comment on CodeNEXT from the former President of the American Planning Association, and member of Austin’s Zoning and Platting Commission: “This is without a doubt the worst code I have ever seen in my life.  We’re a world-class city and we 
    don’t deserve that."

    Barbara McArthur’s slide presentation along with all the materials handed out at the meeting will be posted on www.hancockna.org

  3. The members unanimously approved a resolution, presented by Susan Rankin, strongly urging the Mayor and the Austin City Council to refuse to authorize the use of any Austin parkland for an MLS soccer stadium or any other non-park use. See resolution on HNA website.

  4. Jennifer Dillahunty, chair of Hancock’s Local Historic District Committee gave an up-date on the committee’s activities. The committee’s first step is to make certain the neighborhood residents receive accurate information about LHDs. Over time, It will be using all possible means of conveying information, including the Hancock yahoo list-serve, direct mail pieces, public forums, and block meetings. Thanks to Coan Dillahunty, Hancock’s local historic district project has a very good looking website: www.hancocklhd.com. Check it out and read the letter from HNA President, Mark Harkrider. This will be the site to go to for all information related to the Hancock LHD initiative. One can also email hnahistoric@gmail.com. The email address will be monitored by Jen and Coan Dillahunty.

  5. Carolyn Palaima, Chair of HNA’s Park Committee chair, reported that Hancock has $475,000 remaining from HNA’s agreement with the developers of the former Concordia College land. This money can go to a parkland initiative, green space initiative and the like in the Hancock neighborhood. Carolyn will be holding a neighborhood meeting to receive suggestions from residents on how this money should be spent. Carolyn said it is up to Hancock residents to decide.

  6. One of our homeowners spoke about how his next door neighbor, Louis Black, at 833 East 38th, has held a large catered party, with valet parking, during SXS, which has greatly disturbed, inconvenienced and disrupted his families’ life at a time when his wife is undergoing serious health problems. For the second year, Mark Harkrider, our neighbor and other residents have called and met with the police and code enforcement at the scene. The complaints have not been addressed. The Association’s Executive Committee will look into the legal issues involved and do what is necessary to address the complaints.

The HNA meeting ended at 8:30.
Submitted on behalf of the Executive Committee,
Mary Sanger, Secretary.

https://www.hancockna.org/www/content/hancock-association-meeting-minute...
https://www.hancockna.org/www/content/hancock-association-meeting-minute...

Hancock Association Meeting Minutes3.21.18.pdf

Hancock Association Meeting Minutes3.21.18.docx

HNA Meeting Minutes for February 7, 2018.pdf

HNA Meeting Minutes for February 7, 2018

Hancock Neighborhood meeting minutes, Wednesday, February 7, 2018.

Approximately 45 members of HNA were in attendance.

Squelching a rumor: 
Hancock Recreation Center Supervisor,Jessica Gilzow, firmly stated the Hancock Golf Course would not be 
be sold and developed.  She also said the the recreation Center and the golf center are trying to come up with
mutually beneficial plan for operating the golf course and the rec center.  Thank you, Jessica, for your continued
good work.

Officer Nominations:
The following have been nominated for officers of the Hancock Neighborhood Association.  The election will take place at the regularly scheduled meeting on Wednesay, March 21, 2018
Prior to the election, each nominee is asked to submit a brief bio and state what she/he hopes to accomplish in the position. Please provide to HNA secretary by March 1st (marysanger70@gmail.com)

President:
Mark Harkrider
Barbara Epstein
Vice-President
Ann Tucker
Secretary
Mary Sanger
(Barbara Epstein withdrew her name for secretary)
Treasurer
Bruce Fairfield

Development in the Neighborhood:
Bruce Fairchild reported on the Perry Estate which had submitted a site plan for development on the property. Neighboring property owners believe the development plans are in accordance with the private covenant 
signed between HNA and the Estate developers.  Terri Myers, who serves on the Historic Land Commission, noted that the developers had come before the Commission asking for a awning to be attached to the main building; the request was turned down by the Commission because the addition would detract from the facade of the historic estate and not in keeping with the character of the building.  HNA will write to the developers and/or architects to see if this issue has been settled or if they plan to appeal. The Estate owner/developers have until June 10, 2018 to address staff comments on their site plan.

CodeNEXT
The 3d Draft of the Code was released at 5:00, Monday, February 12, 2018. As soon as possible CommunityNotCommodity.com will send out a report on the key issues of concern. In addition, Mary Sanger & Mike Hebert will send out an analysis of the Code as it relates specifically to the Hancock Neighborhood. At this time, do not be fooled by the American Statesman and other news outlets positive spin on the 3d CodeNEXT draft 

July 4th festivities continue:

Thanks to Melissa Linden, who for the last five years has been Hancock’s July 4th grand organizer & marshal, with her flag bearers Snow White Coe, Jillian Copeland, Amanda Nite, & Robin Camp, the Neighborhood will have a 2018 4th of July parade and festivities.  At the meeting,Paul Keeper suggested we forego cloud sourcing, and right then and there pitch in money for the hot dogs, buns, flags, face painter, police, fire officers, etc. Approximately  $400 was collected; an additional $200 would spark the activities.  Send checks by mail to our HNA treasurer, Bruce Fairchild, 3907 Red River, Austin, Texas 78751.

Zoning Committee:

There were no rezoning permits,requests or complaints to report.

Local Historic Designation.

A planning committee has formed and has been meeting regularly.  If you are interested in learning about
the Committee’s work, and joining the Committee, and learning more about a local historic district, please contact Jennifer Dillahunty at jendilla@gmail.com
She can bring you up to speed, send you a fact sheet, let you know when there are planning meetings. The HNA webmaster will
be asked to establish a place on the website where information on Local Historic Districts will be kept. This will be
information prepared by the City of Austin and information prepared by Hancock for the neighborhood and public.

Discussion:

President Mark Harkrider will assign members to a committee to work on up-dating HNA’s by-laws.

Next Meeting, Wednesday, March 21, 2018

HNA will vote on officers for 2018 at March meeting, other agenda items will be announced; if you
have an item you want placed on the agenda, please send to MarySanger70@gmail.com

Nominated officers are asked to submit a brief statement on why they want to be
elected to the office for which they have been nominated. Please send to MarySanger70@gmail.com. This will be sent out to the membership at least 
10 days before the March 21st meeting.

https://www.hancockna.org/www/content/hna-meeting-minutes-february-7-201...

HNA Meeting Minutes for July 19, 2017

Hancock Neighborhood Association Minutes for Wednesday, July 19th

At the start of the meeting, members thanked Mayor Pro Tem Kathie Tovo for joining us, and for her continued hard work on the Council. Approximately sixty HNA members attended the meeting.

CodeNext Discussion:
Mary Sanger and Mike Hebert gave a brief description of the history of CodeNext and to-date information. In summary, CodeNext is the process of updating Austin’s land development code, which regulates what can be built, where it can be built and how much can be built. The 2012 Comprehensive Plan, known as Imagine Austin, recommended the City Council update the City’s land development Code, which has not been revised since 1984. Mike Hebert explained that the CodeNext process has been non-transparent, has cut out neighborhood plans and the neighborhood planning process and has targeted Austin’s core neighborhoods for up-zoning based on their market desirability – that is, our core neighborhoods are ripe for redevelopment. This will result, not in the building of affordable housing, but in the acceleration of the tearing down of moderately priced rental and homeowner housing to be replaced by high-end duplexes, cottage courts, and ADUs. Mike H. explained the new zoning categories, which replaced Hancock’s Single Family neighborhood zone with what is termed T3 zoning increases density and allows more housing units on smaller lots. The out-of-state consultants, who mapped the City’s new zoning categories showed no appreciation of Austin’s older, dense and diverse neighborhoods. They did not follow Imagine Austin’s goals for respecting Neighborhood Plans, and creating density on the Transit and Activity Corridors, among other items. Essentially, the mappers looked at our urban core. There was no concern for the destruction of affordable housing, nor the displacement of renters or homeowners, nor the ruin of Austin’s healthy and diverse core neighborhoods.

HNA members were asked to vote on a CodeNext resolution and a letter to the Mayor and City Council, both of which are attached The 60-plus members in attendance, voted unanimously to send the letter and the resolution to the Mayor and Council. (see attached)

Perry Estate:
Carolyn Palaima, a member of HNA’s Zoning Committee, reported that the Zoning Committee had reviewed the Perry Estate’s recent permit request. The zoning committee concluded that the development plan is in accordance with the covenant entered into by HNA and the owner of the Perry Estate. HNA President, Mark Harkrider said he also will review the permit and the covenant.

Graffiti:
The neighborhood anti-graffiti team gave its report on their campaign to paint over graffiti and the lack of police resources and the inability to identify the perpetrators. The best tools to discourage graffiti seems to be painting over the marks and placing hidden cameras everywhere the perpetrators conduct their attacks.

Historic Hancock Neighborhood
Teri Meyers, Hancock resident and Historic Landmark Commissioner, and representatives from North University Neighborhood Association discussed the local preservation process.

Minutes prepared by Mary Sanger, Secretary, HNA

Alternative Formats

https://www.hancockna.org/www/content/hna-meeting-minutes-july-19-2017docx
https://www.hancockna.org/www/content/hna-meeting-minutes-july-19-2017pdf

Attachments

CodeNext Resolution
https://www.hancockna.org/www/content/hna-resolution-re-codenext-719171docx
https://www.hancockna.org/www/content/hna-letter-71917docx

CodeNext Letter
https://www.hancockna.org/www/content/hna-letter-71917docx
https://www.hancockna.org/www/content/hna-resolution-re-codenext-719171pdf

HNA Meeting Minutes for July 19, 2017.pdf

Syndicate content