Minutes

HNA Meeting Minutes for January 16, 2019

Hancock Neighborhood Association Meeting Minutes
Wednesday, January 16,2019

President Mark Harkrider welcomed members and called for a vote of the nominated officers. By acclamation Mark Harkrider was elected President, Ann Tucker was elected Vice president and Bruce Fairchild was elected Treasurer.

Alison Young, Friends of Shipe Pool, reported that the pool should be opened by June or July at the latest, in addition, the Friends of Shipe Pool raised $60,000 for the renovation of the log cabin. Alison is also a member of the Friends of Ney Museum and reported it is preparing a landscape plan for the Museum & raising money for this activity.

John Hewlett, principal of Lee Elementary, introduced himself & explained that due to the construction of the new school building, the parking lot will be disabled and there will be a need to find thirty-five parking spaces for the teachers in the near-by neighborhoods. He is particularly looking for parking permit holders to donate one or two permits. Several members did so.

Hewlett also said the City will place a pedestrian beacon at Harris and Red River, which the Lee SCHOOL PTA has been working for.

Officer Gavin Smith introduced himself as the new night shift patrol officer for the area from 12th street to 38th Street. Officer Morrison will continue to patrol 38th & North. Officer Smith said Hancock was one of the safest neighborhoods in Austin which was very surprising to him given the neighborhood is so near I-35 and the homeless population has spread out. Smith said there had been 49 car break-ins in the neighborhood and almost all were because car owners didn’t lock their cars.

Jen Dillahunty, chair of the Local Historic District, reported that she had a new job and could no longer be the chair of the LHD; the LHD Committee is having a meeting Saturday, the 19th to decide on next steps. Terri Myers reported that almost all the neighborhood streets have been surveyed by residents, but much work is needed.

Members agreed the LHD was a priority.

Hugh Bender, Zoning & development chair, reported there had been one demolition permit application of a 1950s single-family home at 1023 East 45th, near the railroad line. There was no mention of fighting the demolition permit.

James Stroud, who represents the neighborhood on the City’s “sound” committee, reported he had attended two meetings which mainly focused on the disturbance to the hotels caused by downtown music venues. He will attend a February 2, meeting and mention that our neighborhood was still concerned about the noise traveling through Waller Creek.

Bart Whatley stated CANPAC has been responding to the requests for height variances in West Austin. He also said that the development community and the City was prepared to see the neighborhoods near UT become more like West Campus: dense and with high rise buildings on Guadalupe & maybe Red River.

Carolyn Palaima reported on the recommendations for the use of the $434,000, which was given to HNA in the 2007 Concordia settlement and which, by a resolution agreed upon by HNA & Eastwoods NA adopted in 2007 must be used for parkland and open space in Hancock neighborhood. At two engagement meetings, not at HNA meetings, projects were proposed for the use of the dollars. See attachment. There were questions about the need for and height of the proposed netting along 38th street to protect traffic from golf balls. Also about a proposed “marque sign” on 38th & Peck. HNA will have an opportunity to review any proposed project.

These projects were proposed at engagement meetings, these projects have not been adopted by HNA Membership.

https://www.hancockna.org/www/content/hna-minutes-11619docx
https://www.hancockna.org/www/content/hna-minutes-11619pdf

HNA. MINUTES 1.16.19.pdf

HNA. MINUTES 1.16.19.docx

HNA Meeting Minutes for September 19, 2018

Hancock Neighborhood Meeting Minutes. 9/19/18

HNA members met at the Hancock Recreation Center for its regularly scheduled meeting on 9.19.2018.

Mary Sanger, HNA secretary chaired the meeting due to the (excused!!) absence of the President & Vice President.

Jim Rankin, chair of the transportation, streets and sidewalk committee reported on the City’s plan to develop bicycle lanes on Duval from San Jacinto to 51st street—cones, like those on Speedway, will be used to distinguish bike lanes from bus, automobile lane. He also said Lee School & HNA are working together to have the city place a hybrid pedestrian beacon at Red River and Harris Avenue to enable safe crossing. Terri Meyers has been asked by Lee Elementary School to be a member of the community advisory committee; she replaces Jim Rankin whose term is up. Congratulations, Terri.

There was discussion of the electric scooters being left here and there, but no recommendation to the Council.

Hugh Bender, Chair of the Zoning and Planning Committee, reported he and others had looked at the renovation of the home on Harris Avenue and determined that it was “close” if not on target to the correct height. HNA emailed the new owner welcoming him to the neighborhood and reminding him of the occupancy ordinance and hoping, in his rental negotiations, he would be mindful that Lee Elementary School was one of his neighbors. The owner did acknowledge receiving HNA’s email.

Terri Meyers stated that the Local Historic District Committee was working on assembling a panel of experts to discuss LHDs at an HNA special meeting; the preliminary survey of HNA homes is being conducted by HNA volunteers and are due to Terri by October 1st. Historic District design standards are being prepared by the LHD committee for homeowners to consider. www.hancocklhd.com/; https://hancocklhd.com/history/

HNA member Meredith B. asked the membership for advice and assistance with a permit for an accessory Unit at 4007 Duval, this differs from a secondary apartment/Accessory Dwelling Unit. Hugh Bender, Mary Sanger and Mike Hebert agreed to review the permit, the Code and to call the City permitting office. HNA will also email the owner of the associated principle home about the occupancy ordinance. (4 unrelated people per site)

After some discussion of the Perry Estate, Bruce Fairchild offered to get a status report on development activities from the contractor.

HNA’s next regular meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, November 21st; this is the day before Thanksgiving, therefore it was recommended the meeting be held on Wednesday, November 14th. Nominations for HNA officers will take place at this meeting and officers will be elected at the January meeting.

https://www.hancockna.org/www/content/hancock-neighborhood-meeting-91918...
https://www.hancockna.org/www/content/hancock-neighborhood-meeting-91918pdf

Hancock Neighborhood Meeting 9:19:18.pdf

Hancock Neighborhood Meeting 9:19:18.docx

HNAJuly 18, 2018.pdf

HNAJuly 18, 2018.docx

HNA Meeting Minutes for July 18, 2018

Hancock Neighborhood Meeting, July 18, 2018
Minutes

Mark Harkrider called the meeting to order.
He began by thanking Robin Camp for donating the flags for the 4th of July Hancock Neighborhood parade and thanked all the other volunteers.

Mark announced the district judge had upheld the citizen petition to allow Austinites to vote in November on whether they want to eventually vote for or against Code Next or any plan like it and any future comprehensive development plan.
.
Mark called on Kevin Yang to talk about setbacks and construction at his project at 913 Duncan. Mr. Yang previously had come before HNA before the condos were built to discuss setbacks. He was at this meeting as part of an obligation to talk with the HNA after completion. He passed out a limited number of diagrams of project. He said there are twelve 700 sq. ft. apts. to be sold for $200,000 plus, each. This was built on an 8,000 sq. ft. lot.

The Treasurer, Bruce Fairchild, spoke briefly about the accounts status.

Mark Harkrider called on Carolyn Palaima with the Parks Committee.

She discussed the Hancock Golf course trail maintenance. HNA received dollars from the Concordia development negotiations, which is being held at the Parks Foundation and is being used to help maintain the trail around Hancock Golf Course, including erosion control. Most recently, HNA paid $16,839 to Parks for this purpose.
Carolyn will have a meeting in the next few months to discuss the use of these funds. The members approved using $400 from this fund to pay for the fire truck at the July 4th parade.
Carolyn explained HNA also received $5,000 from the City for its use of the triangle at Red River and 38th as a construction site. The $5000 went to the Parks Department for restoration of the triangle site.

There was some discussion of the property and building at 3911 Duval. The new building on this lot is an Accessory Dwelling Unit. The HNA officers and Carolyn Palaima examined the permit and, specifically, questioned the removal of a large pecan tree, which was necessary to provide utility service.

Next to address the meeting was Jennifer Dillahunty regarding the Local Historic Neighborhood District. She referred to the Hancock Local Historic District, website, http://hancocklhd.com/2018/07/09/architectural-styles/
She stated that there are 828 owners in the Hancock Neighborhood for 907 parcels.
454 participants would be needed to apply for historic zoning.

Terri Myers is volunteering to do “reconnaissance” of neighborhood properties. But, she needs people to help take pictures and complete a form on each house to be considered as to whether or not it would be considered historic. Any history of the property would be helpful. Terri is to provide guidelines and a form to be completed which will be disseminated to volunteers to complete.
Hugh Bender from the Zoning Committee spoke briefly. There was some discussion about what the UT School of Law has planned for the former
Co-op East. Possible doctors' offices or something else.
The next HNA meeting is scheduled for Sept. 9, 2018.
Submitted by: Eva L. Mohrlok, July 20, 2018 substituting for Mary Sanger, Secretary.

https://www.hancockna.org/www/content/hnajuly-18-2018docx
https://www.hancockna.org/www/content/hnajuly-18-2018pdf

HNA Meeting Minutes for May 16, 2018

Hancock Neighborhood Association Minutes
May 16, 2018

1. Mark Harkrider, welcomed our guest speakers from the Texas Facilities Commission who spoke about the construction of the 1st phase of the Health & Human Services 406,000 ft building on North Lamar across from the Triangle. Construction will begin June, 2018 and completed December, 2018. The building will be nine levels and expected to accommodate 1,525 full time employees; in addition, there will be a seven level parking garage which will accommodate 1,866 cars. It is being built to consolidate, under one roof, many of the State employees who currently are spread throughout the city. There are three phases proposed that is, two more buildings, however, this is the only building approved by the legislature at this time.

The Facilities Commission stated it is trying to obtain a waiver from the Occupation Safety agency to turn–off the back-up beepers on the trucks so to lessen the noise disturbance; they recognize the construction lights at night also will be a disturbance to neighbors. Trucks will be using #283, Lamar, 51st and 45th (yikes) to get to the site.

Future employees of the building, who drive to work, will be coming from all directions and using many different roadways.
For further information go to: www.tfc-nac.com

Committee Reports:

Mary Ann Osborne, a member of the HNA Local Historic Committee, reported that local historic committee met on May 5th and had thus far received approximately 10 responses from the letter which was sent to residents in April. The committee is seeking more volunteers to assist with neighbor to neighbor meetings. The committee is considering a public meeting, with expert panelists, to be held in October. For more information: www.hancocklhd.com or www.hancockneighborhoodna.org: see Document tab; email:HNA historic@gmail.com

Bruce Fairchild, presented a hard copy of the Treasurer’s report. There were no other reports.

Mike Hebert of CommunityNotCommodity urged everyone to go to CommunityNotCommodity website for information on CodeNEXT and to write their concerns to the Mayor and City Council members. Also, he urged people to attend and speak out at the City Council public hearings on Tuesday, May 29, starting at 10:00 am at City Hall and Saturday, June 2, starting at 10:00 am.

The City Council will have its first reading votes on CodeNEXT Wednesday, June 13th.

Submitted by Msanger May 22, 2018

https://www.hancockna.org/www/content/hna-minutes-5162018docx
https://www.hancockna.org/www/content/hna-minutes-5162018pdf

Syndicate content